Just a lowly cashier complaining about the unknowing irritation you cause by everyday purchasing transactions.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Introducing the Unfortunate Cashier

Both my Psychology background and a recently viewed episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit "Anger Management" tells me that allowing myself to vent my anger will just increase angry feelings and outbursts. But, being who I am as a more of a societal observer than participant, I cannot help but add my analysis to the selection of society I come into contact with most: customers. Being a cashier has pretty much made me despise humanity. It has also made me a more courteous customer and person. I have seen people steal, attempt to rip off, get angry over stupid things, lie, and be unnecessarily rude.

Now, there are those who (and I'm assuming they're 1- a people person (those kind of people I can't even understand) 2- never worked in customer service or 3- have no idea what it's like out in the economy in which one doesn't have the pleasure of finding another job since my current one displeases me so much). They're also probably one of the people I hate when they show up on the other side of my register.

I've only been at my current job in customer service for three weeks now but it's pretty much a carbon copy of my last job with the exception that there's more people and a bigger store. Unfortunately the symbol of the store is a smily face but smiling is the last thing I want to do while there despite the repeated attempts by some asshole customers to encourage me to smile.

But let me just clear the air. I am not a scowling cashier or one that makes rude remarks. I am genuinely even tempered and greet 98% of my customers with a "Hello, how are you?" (Unless they're on the phone, those people I only acknowledge the same amount as they acknowledge me).

This blog will serve as a catalog for the idiocy that I come into contact with on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment